A man in his 80s was about to eat his dinner when a fly flew near his body.
He then took out an electric racket designed to kill insects.
When he tried to hit the fly, the gas cylinder in his house leaked.
The reaction between the electric and gas racket then triggered an explosion.
The explosion destroyed the kitchen and part of the roof of his house.
Referring to local mass media reports, the man was able to save himself from the explosion.
He was said to have only had burns on the hands.
However, Sud-Ouest media reported, the fate of the fly that was targeted by the man is not yet known.
The elderly man now lives temporarily at the campsite while the family repairs his house.
A resident of the village of Parcoul-Chenaud in southwestern France blew up part of his house when he was trying to hit a fly.