The tragedy of three women died after they fell asleep in a car in the parking lot of a petrol station in Sama Gagah, Butterworth was quite heartbreaking.
The death of them was caused by carbon monoxide poisoning and for that reason, we are also not advised to sleep in the car with the engine not turned off.
This is because without us realizing there is a possibility of a mechanical problem on the car that can cause a car exhaust leak into the vehicle cabin while you are sleeping.
So,if you plan to sleep or just relax in the vehicle with the engine and air conditioning installed, think again!
- Carbon monoxide poisoning is the leading cause of death due to poisoning.
- Carbon monoxide toxic gases result from the combustion of fuel without adequate oxygen.
- The gas does NOT have any color and smell, so it is known as a “silent killer”
- Carbon monoxide poisoning is the MAIN cause of injuries and deaths due to poisoning worldwide.
According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control, 50,000 patients are hospitalized each year, and 430 die from carbon monoxide poisoning.
Carbon monoxide is formed as a result of the combustion of organic matter without an adequate oxygen supply. It can be produced from the combustion of diesel/petrol vehicles, the use of gas for heating, and during cooking.
What are the symptoms of CO poisoning?
The most common early symptoms of carbon monoxide gas poisoning are headache, dizziness, weakness, stomach, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion.
But if this gas is inhaled while sleeping, you will not notice any of these changes and eventually cause death.
Here some carbon monoxide poisoning prevention tips :
- Avoid heating the engine with exhaust fumes released into the home area. Exhaust fumes that fill the home space contain carbon monoxide gas and can cause poisoning especially in young children.
- Do not sleep or just rest for a while in the vehicle with the engine installed. You may fall asleep and not wake up forever.
- Make sure your exhaust system is inspected and maintained regularly. Remember, a small leak can cause death.