Be careful when you want to eat something. Because in a tragic incident that occurred in the city of Jixi in China’s northeastern province of Heilongjiang, 9 people from the same family died.
Know, that they died after eating noodles that were left in a freezer, which were kept for over a year and contained fermented corn flour.
Seven adults died on October 10, 2020. Then the final surviving family member who ate the soup, a woman named locally as Li, died on October 19, 2020.
But, three children who had been served the corn noodle meal at the family occasion had refused to eat it because they didn’t like the taste, and luckily, they are still alive.
The family member died after eating the dish called Suantangzi, a local Chinese delicacy, five days earlier, which poisoned the family with bongrekik acid. Bongkrek acid is a deadly toxin produced in fermented coconut.
As cited News24xx.com from The Daily Star reports, the bongkrek acid poisoning is often fatal.
Because it can cause serious damage to many human organs including the liver, kidneys, heart, and brain.
Here the symptoms of bongkrek poisoning :
- Stomach pain
- Genera weakness
Currently, there is no specific antidote. Once poisoned, the fatality rate can be as high as 40% to 100%.
In Indonesia, the traditional dish named tempe bongkrek has been banned because it has been linked to so many deaths, because an average of 288 poisonings and 34 deaths ascribed to bongkrek acid were reported every year since 1951 and 1975.