Warning content, these stories show the dark side of Korea’s entertainment industry. All of these stories will expose K-Pop’s dark side that you should know.
So, check it out…!!!
- JJCC’s Prince Mak
JJCC’s Prince Mak, who is an Australian-Chinese celebrity promoting solo in China, had revealed some of the dark rumors of the K-Pop industry in an episode of The Prince Mak Hour.
He mentioned the K-pop contracts, which range between 7 to 15 years. But, he pointed out that most of these contracts only begin to count down after the artist has debuted, with companies claiming 80%-90% of the artists’ income and the remaining 10%-20% split between the members.
Not only about income, but JJCC’s Prince Mak also seemingly overworked as they averaged about 3 to 4 hours of sleep a day with the remaining time spent on training or work.
Every week, the company will check their weight on a weekly basis and if they went above the weight the company decides, they were punished with more exercise or forbidden to eat.
And he also explained that they will not forgive you for not speaking Korean very well.
- Underage female trainee forced to be sexual with 40-year-old investors
An anonymous person wrote that the trainees (three of who were underage) went to a bar to meet some investors where they were forced to pour drinks for them (all of who were above 40 years old).
The investor who looked the most powerful had pointed out the prettiest member of the group as having caught his eye and later, he took her out to coffee alone.
The investor had continuously convinced her to “play sex” with him, and offering money.
But when the member decided to refuse, the investor got angry and as the result, the investor took the member to a sauna where she was eventually forced to sleep.
When she woke up, he had left USD 100 and a message saying he’ll see her soon.
- The story of a 31-year-old former girl group trainee
A 31-year-old former trainee revealed that in the past 10 years of her life, she was left with debt due to all of the plastic surgery she had done just so that she would look prettier on TV.
According to the woman, trainees under 163cm (5’3″) had to match a “debut weight” of 38kg (83 lbs). She told that she had starved and starved for 10 years.
And the company set up a CCTV in their dorm and watched their lives while consistently checking up on their refrigerators.