Lombok is known for its famous ayam bakar taliwang. Chicken pieces are coated in super aromatic spices and herbs and then grilled to perfection. The recipe can be made with Instant Pot or on the stove.
Besides the beauty of the Island itself, Lombok is also famous for its Ayam Bakar Taliwang. The chicken is cooked in aromatic spices and other ingredients and then usually grilled in an open fire.
A modern twist to the recipe is to grill or broil the chicken in the oven to get that nice golden brown and some light chars.
Traditional Ayam Bakar Taliwang is made extremely spicy.
- KENCUR (LESSER GALANGAL/SAND GINGER)
- SHRIMP PASTE
- CANDLENUTS (KEMIRI)
PARTS OF CHICKEN TO USE
Ayam Bakar dishes like this are usually made with bone-in skin-on chicken pieces.
HOW TO MAKE AYAM BAKAR TALIWANG (WITH INSTANT POT)
- Preheat a large pot. Add 3 Tbsp coconut oil
- Add the grind ingredients you prepared earlier and saute until fragrant, about 3-5 minutes or so
- Add 1/2 cup of water and scrape the bottom of the pot to make sure nothing gets stuck on the pot
- Add the chicken pieces followed by seasonings. Stir to roughly combine everything. You don’t need much liquid when cooking with Instant Pot as not much liquid “escapes” throughout the cooking process. I used a mixture of drumsticks and thighs and set the timer to 15 minutes. Release pressure immediately after that
- When the chicken pieces are cooked through, you will still see some liquid inside.
- Remove the chicken pieces and set them aside.
- You can continue to simmer and reduce the liquid until they are almost dry.
- You will see the solids left behind. Mix this solid with 1 Tbsp of coconut oil
- Brush this over the chicken pieces
- Use the broiler on low heat to boil the chicken until brown and slightly charred
- Let the chicken pieces rest for 5 minutes before serving
Ayam Bakar Taliwang is usually served with plecing kangkung