As with many popular tourist destinations, scam artists use various deceitful tactics to target foreign travelers.
While most scams are relatively minor offenses, some visitors have lost considerable amounts of money. If an offer seems “too good to be true” or overly convenient, it could very well be part of a scam.
Visitors to Thailand are advised to always be aware of their surroundings and belongings, especially when frequenting popular tourist sites and crowded markets or streets.
Travelers to large cities such as Bangkok or Chiang Mai, and other tourist destinations such as Pattaya and Phuket, should be aware that tourist scams are most concentrated in these areas.
And here some Popular Types of Scams in Thailand :
- Free entry to bars and parties.
The only requirement is the purchase of a cocktail. As a rule, such cocktails cost like attending several parties.
- You are going to visit the Big Buddha, but on the way, a smiling man warns you that this attraction is closed today.
But don’t worry, he wants to be friends with you and accompany you to more interesting places for free.
Your new friend will show you a couple of temples. But when you are done, you will find yourself in the most high-priced tourist shops, where you are obliged to buy something as a sign of friendliness.
- Sewing a chic business suit according to European patterns. As a rule, this is how Indians earn. You will be left without money and without a suit.
- Free sightseeing tour
Everything is like with a “new friend and a closed attraction”. You will be taken to shops and factories with high prices and will be put in an “easier to buy to get rid of” situation.
- If you decide to visit Cambodia and see Angkor Wat
At the border, there are assistants in obtaining visas at an inflated cost. But you can apply for a visa yourself without any problems.
- You are offered to feed the fish or animals for free and put the food in your hands. Then You will be asked to pay for it.
- Be vigilant when renting bikes. When concluding a contract, make sure that all damages and problems of the rented vehicle are indicated. Otherwise, you will have to pay for the return repair.
- Fraud with plastic cards
Try to withdraw money from ATMs of large banks and make sure that you can’t make online purchases with your card without the SMS code.
Be careful and if you have doubts about the good intentions of new friends and acquaintances, it is better to use Google.