Lamb is another popular meat to be made into satay in Indonesia. I have this super easy recipe that hopefully will satisfy your craving for lamb satay.
Sate Kambing – Lamb Satay
Categories: Main Dish
Prep Time: 45 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
Total Time: 1 hour
– 500-gram lamb thigh meat, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
– 3-6 red bird eye chilies (Indonesian: cabe rawit merah), finely chopped (*)
– 1 tablespoon coriander powder (Indonesian: bubuk ketumbar)
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 2 tablespoon sweet soy sauce (Indonesian: kecap manis)
– 3 tablespoon oil, divided
– 30 bamboo skewers
– Chili sauce (mix the following together)
– 4 shallots (Indonesian: bawang merah), sliced
– 3-5 green bird eye chilies (Indonesian: cabe rawit hijau), sliced
– 4 tablespoon sweet soy sauce (Indonesian: kecap manis)
2 tomatoes, cut into small cubes
– Marinate lamb with chilies, coriander powder, salt, sweet soy sauce, and 1 tablespoon of oil for at least 2 hours in the fridge. Overnight is best.
– Return the lamb to room temperature prior to cooking. Skewer the meat to bamboo skewers, about 3-4 meat cubes per skewer.
– Heat 2 tablespoon of oil in a frying pan (or a grill pan if you have one) on medium high heat. Pan fry/grill satay until slightly charred on each side, about 2-3 minutes per side.
– Arrange cooked satay neatly in a serving plate. Serve immediately with chili sauce and chopped tomatoes.
(*) Use red cayenne chilies for a milder spiciness level.