Papeda is made from sago flour and saved in a container made of sago palm leaflets, called Tumang in which will keep for several months before fermentation will turn it too acidic and unsuitable for making papeda.
There are comparable meals in Malaysia, where it is called Linut, part of the Melanau cuisine in the East Malaysia state of Sarawak, and in Brunei, where it is called Ambuyat.
Papeda is sago congee, the staple food of native individuals in Maluku and Papua.
It is typically found in eastern Indonesia, as the counterpart of central and western Indonesian foods that favor rice as their essential food.
Papeda is made by cooking sago flour with water and stirring till it coagulates. It has a glue-like consistency and structure. Papeda is generally consumed with yellow soup made from tuna fish spiced with turmeric and lime.
Basic ingredients to make food papeda :
- Flour sago 100 gram
- ½ sendok teh gula pasir
- ½ sendok teh garam
- air 1000 cc
Ingredients to make (make) a special yellow sauce fish dishes :
• Tuna ½ kg, clean and then soaked with lemon juice and salt
• Lime 1 bagian
• 1 stalk lemongrass, crushed
• Bay leaves 3 pieces
• Cayenne pepper 7 pieces
• Boiled water 600 ml
• 2 tablespoons cooking oil
For spice seasoning mashed yellow sauce made the dish fish specials :
- Onion 6 items
- Bawang putih 3 cengkeh
- Pecan 3 pieces
- Turmeric 2 cm
- Jahe 2 cm
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 garam sendok teh
- First liquefy corn starch with 300 ml water. then add sugar and salt. Stir well.
- The rest of the boiled water to the boil. Then pour the boiling water into corn starch solution. Stir slowly so sago cooked evenly and translucent color. Remove and serve warm.
- Heat oil and saute the ingredients that have been mashed together with lemongrass and bay leaves until fragrant and cooked.
- Pour the boiled water, cooked until boiling.
- Enter the fish, Gula, cayenne pepper and salt. Cooked until the fish is cooked and the flavors mingle.
- Prior to his appointment, add lime juice and basil. Stir well.
- Serve as a complement papeda.
- Papeda yellow fish sauce ready to serve.