Three prosecutors in Indragiri Hulu regency, Riau has been named as suspects for alleged extortion of 63 Junior High Schools (SMP) principals in Indragiri Hulu (Inhu) Regency, Riau.
The three suspects were prosecutors at the Indragiri Hulu Prosecutor’s Office, with HS; the special crimes section head, OAP; the confiscated goods head and RFR; the evidence subsection head.
It was revealed by the Head of the Legal Aid Consultation Institute (LKBH) of the Indonesian Teachers Association (PGRI) in Riau, Taufik Tanjung.
He told, “They were named suspects and detained for questioning on Tuesday after allegedly extorting IDR 650 million (USD 43,902) from 63 junior high schools.”
Taufik continued, initially, there were six witnesses who were examined as witnesses in the alleged extortion of 63 junior high school heads.
However, after going through a series of examinations, three of them were named suspects.
“There were six witnesses who were examined previously, while three of them were named suspects,” he said.
The Riau Prosecutor’s Intelligence Assistant, Raharjo Budi Kisnanto, did not deny that three prosecutors were named as suspects in the alleged extortion of 63 junior high school heads throughout Indragiri Hulu regency.
Previously it was reported that 63 principals of junior high schools in Inhu Regency, Riau, resigned on Tuesday, July 14 2020. The resignation was because they could not stand the pressure of managing the school operational assistance (BOS) funds.
In fact, these school principals admitted that they were blackmailed by elements from NGOs. The principals claimed that the parties threatened to disrupt school activities if they were not given a cut from the BOS funds.
They said that they felt uncomfortable with the policy, and agreed to resign. The principals also said their resignations were linked to the education and culture minister’s decision issued in July that allowed school principals the freedom to manage BOS funds for necessary purposes amid the COVID-19 pandemic. The resignation letter was given to the Indragiri Hulu Regency Education and Culture Office.
AGO legal communication head Setiyono estimated that the suspects had received between Rp 10 million and Rp 15 million from the Rp 65 million each of the schools received in the first phase of disbursement.
The AGO will investigate further to determine whether the suspects had committed similar offences in years past.