Tragic, seven people have died from poisoning after they started drinking hand sanitizer when they ran out of booze at a party.
Local reports from Russia claim that nine people were seriously unwell after drinking locally made hand sanitizer on Thursday night.
The germ-fighting liquid was 69 percent methanol, an extremely toxic substance that can cause blindness, vomiting, and death if ingested.
Federal public health watchdog, Rospotrebnadzor reported: “Nine cases of poisoning with sanitizer have been registered, including seven that were fatal.”
The first three victims were a 41-year-old woman and two men aged 27 and 59, who died at the house in Tomtor village in the Tattinsky district of the country’s largest region, Yakutia.
Six others were flown by a medical evacuation aircraft to the regional capital Yakutsk.
On Friday three more men died, aged 28, 32, and 69, with another death reported today.
Two more remain in a coma in an intensive care ward, say reports.
Yakutsk is 280 miles south of the Arctic Circle in East Siberia and is officially the coldest city on Earth.
The remote city is built entirely on permafrost, and to stop the buildings melting the ice below, they are mostly built on pylons or stilts.