Actor Marco Panari reportedly died suddenly on Saturday, January 30, 2021. Agung, the actor’s management stated that the younger brother of actress Angela Gilsha’s had died as a result of choking.
According to Agung, Marco did not have a history of any disease. And his death was very sudden.
As information, although it sounds trivial, choking can be fatal. The reason that occurs when choking is the obstruction of the upper airway by food or other objects. So people who experience it will have difficulty breathing.
As quoted by Emedicine Health, when a person chokes with a completely blocked airway, no oxygen can get into the lungs.
The brain is very sensitive to lack of oxygen and begins to die within four to six minutes.
At that time first aid must be carried out immediately. Irreversible brain death occurs in as little as 10 minutes. Choking can cause a small cough, but if the blockage completely closes the airway it can cause death.
Therefore, choking is actually a medical emergency that requires prompt and precise action by whoever is present as the emergency medical team may not arrive in time to save the life of the choking person.
If the person can answer by speaking, it means partial airway obstruction. It is advisable to stay with the person and ask them to continue coughing until the blockage clears.
Don’t give a drink, as the liquid can actually cover the space needed to circulate the air.
Whereas if a person cannot answer by speaking and can only nod their head, they may have complete airway obstruction, or complete blockage, and need emergency assistance.
In that condition, it is advisable to immediately contact a health care facility.
While then give first aid to the victim by leaning forward and giving 5 back blows with the heel of the hand.
After that, do 5 abdominal thrusts quickly upward. You can push up on your stomach using your hands, or bend over, and press your stomach against a hard object such as the back of a chair.
Then, do alternate back and stomach blows until the object that is making the choking substance comes out or, until the person may breathe or cough vigorously.
But if you are unconscious, immediately take it to a health care facility.